What is Corona?
Covid-19 as it’s commonly called stands for Corona virus disease 2019. It is an infectious disease caused by a new virus officially named SARS-CoV-2. It originated in December 2019 in a food market in Wuhan province of China and has spread to 185 countries.
A person can have the virus for as little as two days or as long as two weeks before symptoms begin to surface.
Some common symptoms of Covid-19 which has been noticed so far include
- Shortness of breath
- Persistent dry cough
- Fever (gradually increasing low grade fever)
In severe cases
- Difficult breathing
- Blue lips or face
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
The Corona virus has been able to attract so much global attention because no vaccine or cure have been found for it yet.
However some measures can be taken to protect oneself and prevent the spread of the virus.
- Wash your hands regularly for about 20 seconds with soap and water or alcohol based hand rub
- Cover your nose or mouth with disposable tissue or elbow crow while you cough or sneeze. Used tissues should be disposed immediately in a covered bin
- Stay 1m or 3ft away from anyone who is coughing or sneezing
- Clean and disinfect objects you touch a lot such as your phones, sockets, door knobs, fan or AC control etc.
- Don’t touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth when hands are dirty
Who can contact the virus?
Everyone, old or young, is susceptible to the virus. However people in the following category have a higher risk of contacting the virus.
- People living with lung conditions such as asthma and COPD (Chronic Obstructory Pulmonary Disease), severe obesity, diabetes, kidney or liver diseases, certain heart conditions, and cancer
- If you live with or are taking care of someone who has the virus
- If you have a sexual partner who has contacted the virus.
What to do if you suspect you have the virus
Call your primary health care provider. It’s advisable to put on a mask while you await their arrival.
The NCDC has provided the following helplines:
Toll free number: 0800 9700 0010
WhatsApp: +234 708 711 0839
SMS: +234 809 955 5577
What’s the right attitude?
Don’t panic, stay calm, stay safe, and stay happy.