I remember while growing up, kids my age were always so excited when singing the popular rhyme “Parents listen to your children, we are the leaders of tomorrow …” . There were lots of discussion and debate about “leaders of tomorrow “, we all loved to talk about it. This particular line even built ambitions and dreams for many of us then.
I’m actually concerned about young people who don’t take charge of their life goals, journey and dream. There are lots of young people who can’t seem to figure it out YET, due to one thing or another. If this would encourage you, we have young Nigerians who gained the recognition of Forbes ’30 ,2019
- Taofeek Abijako
He founded the clothing brand HEAD OF STATE – a unisex line which features a combination of printed t-shirts and some hand-painted numbers, in 2016 at age 18. He raised funds for his fashion projects by selling hand-painting sneakers, and selling them online.
- Kayode Ojo
A 28-year-old photographer who has had solo shows in Paris, Berlin, New York and Dallas.
- Obi Omile (Jnr)
The co-founder of the Cut, a technology platform that allows users and barbers to schedule appointments. He is also a communication expert.
- Olaoluwa Osuntokun
The 25 years old co-founder of Lighting Labs which has raised $2.5 million to turn bitcoin into a more viable form of payment by making smaller transactions more cost-effective.
These stories are finished products of consistency, strong efforts and hard work. There are lots of young people in Nigeria making waves in several industries, and they all have stories to tell. As a young individual, it is important to know that you are the change that your generation seeks, you can make meaningful impact in your own circle, you can be somebody’s motivation, and you can add value to peoples lives.
Below are three things that can possibly hinder you from being successful and making impact. Most people suffer from at least two of them.
- Fear: Many people are literally scared of starting that business, initiative or career that they absolutely love. If you don’t do away with fear, you will never be able to achieve anything good in life as an individual. Stop being scared, and start now.
- Inconsistency: Inconsistency is a major problem everywhere. Without consistency in anything you do, you will never make it and won’t be able to add value. Consistency is not as easy as it seems, especially when you’re just starting. The key is to take a step at a time and keep doing what you’re doing till you gain capacity for more. Don’t bite more than you can chew
- Lack of substance (content or niche) : Don’t jump into too many things at a time, that you begin to lose substance and ignore your niche. Be known for something, because, relevance and regard will be attached to your niche.If you find yourself guilty of any of the above, don’t beat yourself up for it. You still have time to do the following and be better!
- Redefine your goals and stand by them. If you lose focus, take time out to redefine your goals and ambitions, send by them and work with them.
- Don’t forget why you started. There are down times when you want to give up, drop your goals and dreams and just live life. Don’t ever forget why you started in the first place. This would motivate you and keep you going always.
- Prepare to pay the price for success. Every success and achievement comes with a price tag financially, emotionally, mentally and physically. You have to give it all it takes. Pay for that online course, stay up late to think, invest your time, energy and money into making it work.
- You can’t approach your goals and dreams based in feelings. You need to plan. You are expected to make plans, when you do,work by it. It gears you toward a good result at the end of the day.
Yesterday, they said you would be the leader of tomorrow, start today! Rise up and press on!