By: Oluwatoyosi Adegunle
Job application is a very tricky aspect of employment, because as much as you need a job, you need to also pay attention to some important things about the job you’re applying for, and how you apply.
- If you don’t meet the necessary requirements, dont apply for the job: People make this mistake a lot, most especially those that are new to job application. When you see a particular job that requires a certain level of degree, professional certifications, age, location and so on, and you eventually did not meet up, It’s only advisable for you to not apply for such, because the recruiter has probably set up a model to chose the right candidate, and once your CV or Cover letter doesn’t have what they want, your application is ignored. Apply for the right jobs whose requirements you can meet up with.
- Be smartly involved in two careers: In the 21st century, things are changing, recruiters’ demands are changing, there’s a paradigm shift in job roles and duties. Some particular roles are not necessary anymore these days. You have to smartly be involved in at least 2 careers, either from your course of study, your skill or knowledge. This awards you more job opportunities. For example, a Mass Communication graduate should be able to apply for a job position in a broadcast firm, print firm, public relations and advertising firm; He or she could also work as a Voice over Artiste, Digital Marketer and so on. Learn the evolving job positions that can guarantee you employment.
- Be very updated and knowledgeable : In the 21st century, you have to be updated and informed. When you apply for a job, you have to know the kind of organization you’re going into, the staff and salary structure, their policies and goals. You also have to be very familiar with the job position and duties you’re applying for, it’s perks and worth, even if it has nothing to do with your course of study. You have to be able to answer questions regarding that job position. Do your research well.
- Be Extra : Do all you can do to add value to you and your CV. Take professional courses, expand your scope of knowledge, volunteer for organizations that can add value to you, have at least one digital skill because it’s highly required in the 21st century.
- Build your Image : Your Image during job application is your CV and cover letter. You might have a very large wealth of knowledge, but most times, a certain knowledge is not useful to the job you’re applying for. Tailor your CV and Cover letter to suit the job you’re applying for. You can have more than one CV and cover letter to suit a particular job application. Be very truthful and realistic. You don’t want to be given practice tests on your skills, and you can’t perform well.
- There are some basic skills you should own irrespective of your course of study: You must be able to write and speak well. Writing reports is peculiar to almost all job roles. You must be able to speak well, that is, interpersonal communication in the Cass of presentations.